As soon as summer is over, the green foliage slowly turns dry and soon it will all fall off in preparation for the upcoming winter months. The grass in your yard can also start to brown because of the scorching heat of the sun. For residential and commercial properties, who have set up landscapes in their yard, it is important to learn about proper lawn care to ensure that you can keep your yard looking aesthetically appealing.
Whether you are going to hire a lawn care service to manage cleaning your lawn, it is important to take note of the following essential tips:
1. Rake fallen leaves and dried grass off your lawn. You can use a manual rake or electric leaf blower to get the job done. However, you must never neglect this process because not only is it not good to look at, but wet leaves on the ground can also trap moisture and result in fungus invasion.
2. Cut your grass often. The most basic step to take in maintaining residential or commercial property is to regularly cut the grass. Ideally, this should be done on a weekly basis, particularly during fall wherein the grass tends to brown easily.
3. Do not cut your lawn too short. While it is recommended to cut your grass often, avoid cutting it too short at all times. Some people have this false misconception that you must cut your lawn grass down to nothing. There should be an ideal level of grass that you should maintain to also preserve that aesthetic appeal.
4. Mow your lawn. Lawn mowing is one of the most basic lawn care tips to keep in mind during fall. Like with cutting the grass, you must keep it to between 2.5-3.5 inches thick. The layer of grass on the surface will help to protect and preserve the soil beneath it.
5. Plant some new grass. You can also use the change of season as an opportunity to grow new grass or plants in your yard, especially as the old ones have fallen off at this point. Nothing beats freshly grown plants to add more vigor and beauty to your yard.
6. Add organic fertilizer into the newly planted seeds or grass. If you should use a fertilizer to maintain the health and growth of your newly planted grass, make sure to opt for the organic ones. For those hiring a lawn care service, make sure that you inquire with them about the type of fertilizer they are using, if any. It is important for environmental efficiency and also provides proper nourishment to your yard and plants. An important tip to keep in mind when using fertilizer: apply them during the cool season grasses and NOT warm season grasses.
7. Remove lawn thatch. For this one, you can use a lawn dethatcher so you can get the job done more easily. Doing so will help to remove the uppermost layer of dead organic matter located right above the plant’s soil base. It is important to evaluate your own lawn first before you proceed with this because not all lawns have this particular problem. But when you are able to positively diagnose your lawn, make sure to do that lawn dethatching as soon as possible before it grows above half an inch.
8. Aerate your lawn. Aside from dethatching, you must also perform lawn aeration to allow the air, water, and nutrients to be absorbed into the soil. Hence, it will make it easier for those essential properties to be absorbed by the plant and keep your lawn looking lush and healthy much longer.
9. Explore the use of a sod. Do not be afraid to use a sod because this is a regulated way to keep your lawn looking healthy and vibrant. By putting in sod, you can help preserve the appearance of your lawn while at the same time keeping it healthy if you decide to grow a new lawn.
10. Employ professional lawn care services to do it for you. The simplest and most efficient tip to remember to provide maximum care for your lawn during autumn is to hire professional lawn service to do it for you. These companies have all the equipments and expertise you need to achieve the objectives that you want so you can maintain proper upkeep for your lawn during the season.
Some homeowners or business owners might find it cost-efficient to care for their lawn themselves; it can take too much time. Thus, lawn care services might just be what you need during this time of the year so you can enjoy professional quality lawn care for proper maintenance and beautification of your yard.